Can I just download and read your eBooks?
Although you do need a special program to read eBooks, there are many free options for this including:
- Amazon’s “Kindle for PC” or “Kindle for Mac” — scroll down to “Kindle Reading aps” on this page.
- Calibre (calibre-ebook.com/).
- Barnes & Noble’s “Nook for PC” or “Nook for Mac” — there are several Nook apps on this page.)
- iBook (usually preloaded on Apple iPhone, iPad, and other devices. Also available through the App store).
- Adobe Digital Editions found here.
In what format does Sophia provide eBooks?
Sophia eBooks are provided in BOTH ePub and Mobi formats which you must download before adding your eBook to the eBook reader of your choice. Please continue reading below for more information on downloading your eBook and adding it to your specific eBook reading device.
How to download your Sophia eBook
If you did not download your book when you completed your order, go to www.SophiaInstitute.com and login to your account by clicking “My Account” at the top of the page and then “Login.” After you have logged in, click on “My Downloads”.
You should see a list of the eBooks you have purchased. Click on “download” to download your eBook to your computer, or right-click and select “Save As” to select a location on your computer. You have two choices to download, one for the ePub file (used with iBooks and many other readers) and Mobi (used with Kindle readers and some other readers).
You can now copy either the ePub version or the Mobi version of the eBook to a handy location and follow the directions for adding your eBook to your whichever eReader you use (see below for instructions for specific devices).
If you placed your order without first creating or logging into your account, click “Forgot password?” on the account login page and enter the email address you used to make your purchase. Please email [email protected] if you need help. Including your order number, order date, name, and what you were expecting to download are particularly helpful pieces of information.
Confused? Here are steps 1-3:
- Login to your account by clicking “Login” at the top of the right-side of the webpage.
- Click on “My Downloads.”
- You should see a list of the eBooks you have purchased. Click on “download” to download your eBook to your Downloads folder, or right-click and select “Save As” to select a location on your computer.
- You may also right-click and select “Save As” to select a location on your computer.
Device-specific instructions for loading Sophia eBooks
Our eBooks are compatible with most eBook readers including Amazon’s Kindle and BN’s Nook, however, in order to use them, your eBook reader must support either the ePub eBook format or the Mobi eBook format. To give our customers the most flexibilty for reading our eBooks, we provide both versions.
If you find that you cannot use either the ePub or the Mobi format on your particular eBook Reader, you might consider using the free eBook reading software Calibre (calibre-ebook.com/). We are not affliated with Calibre in any way.
Add a Sophia eBook to your Amazon Kindle
If you have a computer running Windows, go to “My Computer” and find the file you downloaded from our store. Right click and chose “explore” so that you can open the file and “extract” the book file that ends in .mobi which is the eBook format that Kindle uses. (You should be able to do something very similar if you have a MAC.) Once you have saved the .mobi file to your computer, you should be able to email it to your Kindle Library as a “personal document.” Amazon has instructions about this here.
If you are using Amazon’s Kindle for PC instead of a Kindle, here are instructions:
Adding a Sophia eBook to Kindle for PC version 1.10.1
Once you have downloaded the Mobi version and saved it to your computer, make a note of where this extracted file is and follow these steps:
- Open Kindle for PC
- Go to the Tools menu.
- Click on Options.
- Highlight Content: this should tell you the current location of your content folder. (the default is probably something like C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Kindle Content).
- Copy the .mobi file you extracted into your content folder.
- Shut down Kindle for PC and reopen it after you have copied the file into your content folder.
- When you reopen Kindle for PC, you should be able to find your eBook when you sort your library by Title or by Author.
Add a Sophia eBook to your Nook
If you have a computer running Windows, go to “My Computer” and find the file you downloaded from our store. Right click and chose “explore” so that you can open the file and “extract” the book file that ends in .ePub which is the eBook format that the Nook uses. (You should be able to do something very similar if you have a MAC.)
Once you have saved the .ePub file to your computer, connect your Nook to your computer with its USB cable (this is your charging cable with the wall-plug adapter removed). You should then have the option to open a folder to view the files on your Nook. Go to “My Files” and then put a copy of the .ePub file into the “Books” folder. Eject your Nook from your computer. When you turn your Nook back on, you should find your eBook in the Books section of your Library.
Reading Sophia eBooks on iPhones or iPads
When you buy an eBook from us, we provide you with both the ePub version of the book and the Mobi version of the book. Your iPad or iPhone may already have the “iBooks” app on it that will allow you to read an ePub format eBook. If you don’t already have the iBook app, you should be able to download it (or another eReader app) from Apple. The application you choose should include instructions for adding eBooks to your device.
Here is a step-by-step online article about adding eBooks to an iPad.
You need to email the extracted files to yourself on your iPad.
TIP: The comments section of that article also includes this shortcut method:
- Download epub from sites you know (in this case, Sophia’s website).
- Email the epub file to yourself.
- Open up the email in your iPad, and click on the attachment (the epub file).
- Choose “Open in iBook” and that’s it.