About this item
Between the countless duties, deadlines, and distractions that afflict man, finding space to concentrate on the powerful omnipresence of God is a struggle. Still, spending just a few minutes each day in quiet recollection conveys rich rewards, enabling us to reorient our lives to the rhythm of the sacred prayer of the Church. Liturgical piety is indispensable for our sanctification as it draws us into the mystery of our Faith and fosters within us a spirit of charity and divine praise.
For the first time ever in a single volume, the spiritual classic The Light of the World, by the renowned Dom Benedict Baur, O.S.B., offers a year-long cycle of powerful meditations following the traditional Catholic liturgical calendar. In the celebrated lineage of Prosper Gueranger, The Light of the World combines dogmatic precision with spiritual unction to offer a "daily retreat" for the entire Church year, renewing one’s daily spiritual life through the prayers of the classical Roman Rite. Features include:
- Reflections for every Sunday, weekdays, ember days, rogation days, and more
- Guidance for mental prayer and contemplation based on the liturgical orations
- Daily prayers incorporating adoration, thanksgiving, petition, and reparation
- Practical suggestions and resolutions for battling vice and growing in virtue
- Devotions to Christ’s redeeming sacrifice and sanctifying presence as our spiritual center
- Classic exegesis on the Sacred Scriptures and the sacraments
- Colloquies on Our Lady as the model of prayer and guide to the interior life
- Instructions on remote and proximate preparations for daily meditation
- Spirituality based on the Rule of St. Benedict: "Let our mind be in harmony with our voice"
- Methods of prayer from St. Ignatius of Loyola and the tradition of St. Sulpice
Instructive and deeply inspiring, The Light of the World is an ideal companion volume for providing spiritually nourishing yet accessible reflections to extend the graces of the Church’s venerable worship into one’s entire day. Dom Baur offers readers an expansive tour of the treasures of our Faith through the prism of traditional liturgy, to preserve and impart its riches to future generations.